Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Step In The Right Direction

What a difference it makes to learn that its ok to be me.

I have been in the treatment center for a week and learning more than I ever thought possible. This life has taught me that it is ok to be who I am but the addiction has taught me that it is ok to hide from the pain. This treatment is teaching me that it is ok to feel the pain and move forward from the stronghold of addiction and love myself.

It is a big step for addicts to make the commitment to come to treatment. There is a lot of emotions tied up inside of us that we have no idea how to deal with without the use of mind altering substances. I am so grateful that I am learning how to accept the past as part of my life and let it go as an experience I was meant to have.

My experience in life can help someone who suffers from similar pain and possibly teach someone else how to move on. The hardest thing for me to change is the person who wants to change the world. I always want everyone to be happy and find myself hurting because I can't make them be happy. What I have learned is that I can listen to them tell me how they are hurting and offer them comfort with supportive words and a hug.

I am doing really well at the treatment center and finding the days full of nonstop healing. To all of you who are suffering from addiction or a family member who is in active addiction, keep praying and keep coming back. There is more to this disease than simply staying clean and sober. It is a lifelong journey and it is worth the effort.

I am truely blessed to be here today to tell my story. I am even more blessed if my story helps you.

The journey starts when faith begins.

No comments: