Thursday, October 4, 2007

Out Of The Darkness

I know a lot of us go through stages in our lives when we wish we could be someone else or we wish our parents didn't screw up so much. I was devastated when I found out my parents weren't perfect! Years later I felt like a failure when I found out that I wasn't perfect!

I would like to share a poem with you that I got from a great book I recently had the pleasure to read. It is a book called 'The Purpose Driven Life'. It has given me an abundance of strength and helped me to find my purpose in life.

You Are Not A Mistake

You are who you are for a reason. You're part of an intricate plan. You're a precious and perfect unique design, called God's special woman or man.

You look like you look for a reason. Our God made no mistake. He knit you together within the womb, you're just what he wanted to make.

The parents you had were the ones he chose, and no matter how you may feel, they were custom-designed with God's plan in mind, and they bear the Master's seal.

No, that trauma you faced was not easy, and God wept that it hurt you so; but it was allowed to shape your heart so that into his likeness you'd grow.

You are who you are for a reason, you've been formed by the Master's rod. You are who you are, beloved, because there is a God!

-----------------------------------------

I am so grateful for the people in my life who support me and help me to see that I am worth it. I spent a lot of years wishing I could be anywhere but where I was. I know now that I have experienced the darkness so I could find my way to the light.

I am finding my way back to my heart. My heart was lost so many years ago when I lost myself. I fell into the darkness of addiction and managed to crawl into the light. Now I am letting my light shine bright and I hope that the flicker of light will catch the eye of another suffering addict.

I really believe that the lessons we learn in life are designed so we can grow and build character. I am not the same person I was four months ago. Sometimes I don't even recognize myself in the mirror. I love myself today. I love myself for the first time in my life!

Forgiveness has been the key to my recovery. I had to learn how to forgive myself for not being perfect. I screwed up. I made mistakes. I forgive myself and I forgive others. I no longer regret the past but I learn from it. The best is yet to come.

I will always have a special place in my heart for the people in my life that have known me since I was a young girl. They are part of who I am and who I am meant to be.

My parents have been my biggest support simply because they have always been there waiting for me to come out of my isolation and learn that it's ok to be me.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

1 comment:

Lana said...

You are growing every day I see changes for the good. You are the most beautiful person I know right now, and I love you so much. Keep up the good work, the best is yet to come, and it will.
love to you form me.