Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Gift of Today

I cried myself to sleep last night. I was saying goodbye to Daddy in my own way. I know it won't be for long this time but it was still hard knowing that in the morning he would be getting on that plane...........

I can't believe what a huge support he has been in my recovery, even from 7000 kilometers away. He had been emailing my Mom for several months before he arrived, just to keep tabs on what was happening. He wanted to come and rescue me long before he got here. What he doesn't know is that he rescued me when he showed me just how much he cared. He cared enough to call me everyday for the last four months of my life. Just to say he loved me.

I haven't had a close relationship with my Dad. He decided to go home to Australia many years ago. I am so grateful that he had that opportunity to spend that time with his Mom before she passed on. I can say that now because I am learning life's lessons. We don't always get what we want but we always get what we need. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it at the moment but once we realize the purpose we have in life, life becomes easier to live.

Dad and I are very lucky to have the relationship we have now. It was hard over the years not having him as a part of my life. I didn't realize how much I needed him and I am grateful I still have him. He is a huge part of who I am today.

I learned just how much we are alike. I learned that he is kind, gentle, caring, funny, lovable, nurturing, sensitive and emotional. He is human and he makes mistakes. He isn't perfect either. Thank you Daddy. I am happy to be your daughter. I am proud to call you Dad.

We had a great time together and after he left I got to spend some quality time with another important person in my family. My Uncle Ed. He too is an inspiration to me. He isn't perfect either. He had been struggling for years to find peace in his life. He helped me to see that my addiction is a blessing and I didn't have to be ashamed. It happens to so many people. It is the path to righteousness. Through working the 12 Steps I found my way back to God. Through God I have regained my faith. Through faith I have found peace. Through peace I have found forgiveness. Through forgiveness I have found strength. Through strength I have found recovery. Through recovery I have found freedom, freedom from addiction and freedom from controlling relationships.

Happiness is something we get from happenings in our lives. Joy comes from the Spirit within us. Faith in God keeps us clean and sober because He knows what is in our hearts. He knows our secrets and He will help us if we ask Him to. One day at a time. Each day is a gift from God. Tomorrow is yet to come.

No comments: